Search this blog

Friday, May 6, 2022

Chip day and the Leyland National bus turns green - with envy?

For many people Friday is chip day with a visit to the local chippy. However the chip I am referring to is more about electronics and model railways but more on that later.

The Peco Leyland National bus probably is not envious of the electronic chip but has now been painted green following some more work on getting the joints smoothed.

Peco National Bus Kit

Peco National Bus Kit

Peco National Bus Kit

The paint is Tamiya Park Green and was airbrushed following thinning. It probably needs another coat but I will let this one dry overnight.

Peco National Bus Kit

There is probably going to be a white or cream strip along it unless I see sense and realise the issues of masking to airbrush the strip. Once the paint job is done then I can fit the glazing and floor pan. I do think I need a driver and passengers so I will need to see what is in the WMD stores which will probably mean more work and painting.

Moving onto the chip part of this post I have had for some time (and if Mrs. Woody is reading this that some time is a very long time) an 00 gauge Dapol Class 73 in EW&S livery. It goes with my other similar liveried locos. I had not run it yet so as in a frenzy of tidying up that revealed its presence I decided to put a DCC chip in it and get it running. The job entails taking the body off which is held onto the chassis with 4 small screws. Having done that the circuit board for the DCC chip and the various lighting sockets is revealed. 

Dapol EW&S Class 73

There is what is termed as a blanking plug on top of the circuit board which enbales the loco to operate on DC. The blanking pug is taken off allowing access to fit the 21 pin DCC chip.

Dapol EW&S Class 73

Dapol EW&S Class 73

I did not photo the DCC chip in place as I forgot due to spending a frustrating hour trying to get it to work. I even went to the extreme of dismantling the circuit board to see if there was a detached or broken wire. What actually was wrong was that I fitted the chip upside down - Doh! However with the chip the right way round it worked fine! It is a beauty of a model and runs superbly. I had it run in hauling a rake of Mk3 coaches as I did some more tidying up. Maybe the bus is green with envy at this loco?

Dapol EW&S Class 73

Dapol EW&S Class 73

Dapol EW&S Class 73


No comments:

Post a Comment