Search this blog

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Back to the 90s with Central Trains!

I am slowly going through my collection of rolling stock. Some of it has unfortunately been boxed away for far too long so I am getting them out and enjoying them which is the whole reason for having them. This example is a Hornby Class 153 that I bought second hand about 15 or more years ago. It had been fitted with a DCC chip which was nice and saved me the trouble. 

Hornby Central Trains Class 153

Out of the box it is a single unit rail car that was very much a backstay of many lightly used services in real life. Central Trains, which was one of the first tranche private companies to take over from British Rail in the 1990s had several of these and very smart they looked in that two tone green livery 

Hornby Central Trains Class 153

In fact I have a bit of a soft spot for Central Trains as they did operate where I lived and worked in the 90s. I have a number of their passenger units including this Class 156 two car unit just coming into shot.

Hornby Central Trains Class 153

This is the unit which again is a Hornby model. I do have two of these so they can run as a four car multiple working if I want.

Hornby Central Trains Class 153

In that 90s period, whilst Central Trains were providing passenger services, EW&S, as they started out as, before becoming plain EWS, were hauling freight with a wide variety of locos such as this Class 58 behind the two Central Trains units in the picture below. The two companies did operate in the same geographical area so it was common to see the two companies trains pass each other and as I do have a few EWS liveried locos I have on my bucket list to get them all out with the Central Trains stock and go back to the 90s!

Hornby Central Trains Class 153

 





No comments:

Post a Comment