Search this blog

Monday, March 25, 2024

Seeing more progress!

Having had a good weekend playing operating trains on my Last Great Project 00 gauge layout, especially my bargain DCC sound fitted Class 47, it is time to make some more progress on building it! To that end the far corner has seen the track underlay glued in place, the track and points wired with power feeds and the track weathered before being glued down ready for ballasting.

The underside of the track underlay had a good coating of PVA glue.

My Last Great Project,

Whilst that was drying I soldered the various power feed wires onto the track. These pass through the baseboard and will, when I get to turn the baseboard over, be connected up to the power supply. With wires in place I weathered the track using a brown mix through the airbrush - makes painting something like track so much easier!

My Last Great Project,

Some of the weathered track drying. I masked up the critical electrical parts of the point sand any fishplate joiners in the track to avoid paint interfering with electrical continuity. Those areas will be brush painted later.

My Last Great Project,

With the track dry it was time to lay it onto the glued underlay but not before I had applied petroleum Jelly to the tie bar of the points. It prevents the glue from the ballasting gumming up the point movement.

My Last Great Project,

The track was glued down with more PVA to the underlay once the power wires had been fed through holes in the baseboard.

My Last Great Project,

With all the track glued it was weighted down with anything handy, including model locomotives!

My Last Great Project,

Not sure how long it will all take to dry but hopefully I can get this section ballasted soon to see some more progress!





No comments:

Post a Comment