Search this blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Working smarter not harder as I get older 2!

Further to yesterdays, working smarter as I get older, I have to admit to yet another failure to adhere to that phrase! I had been struggling with the drill bit which was slightly undersize for the bolt I was using. I used the drill itself as a sort of grinding tool and a round file to open out the hole. Then it struck me! Why wasn't I using the flat drill bit that was staring me in the face? I fitted it and found because the shank was longer the drill was easier to use and it opened the hole up in seconds! The other hole also took seconds to open up and the third and fourth holes less then five minutes to drill and fit the bolts! Dooh!

My Last Great Project

Anyway, lesson learnt - think harder!!!!

With the boards joined I also need to screw down the base board tops which were still loosed in places! Again, another job I put off! However at least it was not the struggle I had yesterday unbder the baseboards!

My Last Great Project

My Last Great Project

With the tops screwed down I could cut the slits for the point motor pins to plug into the point tie bars. A series of holes drilled, joined together by using a blade to cut the material between them and then opened out with a small flat file. 
My Last Great Project

Two points needed the slots cutting which was done fairly easily - it must be my lucky day! With that done I cut the foam underlay to size and split it over the baseboard joint. I have also cut away pieces to allow for plywood pieces to be glued to the baseboard at the board edge onto which copper clad sleepers will be glued. These will allow the rail to be soldered to them giving a rigid joint at the baseboard joints to the tracks. It worked before so hopefully again! Just need to work smarter not harder as I get older from now on! 

My Last Great Project


No comments:

Post a Comment