Search this blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Sign making!

The Rocks by Rail Museum opens to the public on Easter Sunday which is the 31 March this year. The Museum has used banners placed at six local locations to advertise its events which last year became my responsibility to put out on site. Given the number of events during a year and the fact that each banner is unique with the event and date details, there are a lot of banners needed during the year. A lot of banners means a lot of cost! In an effort to save money I have been developing a way to reuse last years banners. Basically the text advertising the event is reusable but the dates need to be changed. I did think about paint and stencils but that has issues such as paint adherence to the banner material and getting stencils lined up. I have therefore used some image software to print off the necessary dates. Using a website I was able to identify the font that is used on the banners so it matches reasonably well. I was also able to reasonably match the background colour using the imaging software. With the dates printed off I sprayed the paper with some varnish to seal the printer ink.

Rocks by Rail Museum

I then cut out the individual dates.

Rocks by Rail Museum
 
The individual dates were then wrapped in clear sticky back plastic - very Blue Peter!

Rocks by Rail Museum

I then attached double sided tape to the back of the wrapped dates.

Rocks by Rail Museum

As with most things in the WMD household a cat became involved and Monty here was curious as to what was going on. As you can see last years opening Easter event was on the 9 April.

Rocks by Rail Museum

With the original banner cleaned with some IPA the backing to the double sided tape was removed and hey presto one updated 'new' sign!

Rocks by Rail Museum

Well the concept is proved so I just have another five banners to do and then the 6 for the Easter Monday! I will be busy but signs are that it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment