Search this blog

Thursday, September 15, 2022

A bit of tonal variation! That's on the tank not in my voice!

Mrs. Woody re-tested positive for Covid this morning so I didn't bother testing myself as I still feel rough anyway and it saves a test kit! It looks as though we will have this virus for a few more days yet! 

However not feeling like doing the usual list of jobs and with the excuse of not feeling well and that some model making would be good therapy for Covid (I don't think Mrs. Woody shares that thought!) I have got the top coat on the T34./122 tank having primed it yesterday. I gave the turret and hull a coat of Vallejo Sand to get an overall coat of paint on it. I was going to paint the tracks too but I spotted one or two links that were not quiet right and needed 'fine tuning' so that will hopefully be done tomorrow.

Ryefield Models T34 122,


Ryefield Models T34 122,

Ryefield Models T34 122,

Once that had dried for a few hours I highlighted edges of things around the turret and hull with a thinned brown to highlight them. 

Ryefield Models T34 122,

Ryefield Models T34 122,

It looks a bit stark at this stage but I then repainted a thinned top coat so that the brown highlighted edges were still there but much faded. The photo below does not show it very well but there is, as the proper modellers and skilled proponents of this method say, tonal variation in the colour on the model. Once dried a then sprayed it with a very thin coat of gloss varnish as a base for some highlighting and weathering. 

Ryefield Models T34 122,

Once the varnish was dry and I had awoken from my Covid induced afternoon nap I started some highlighting using some Citadel Nuilin Oil. It tends to flow around things and into gaps which is great for highlighting them. It does however take a long time and you need to have a cotton bud handy to mop up excess applications when they happen which with my skill level is often!

Ryefield Models T34 122,

Ryefield Models T34 122,

So, Covid allowing, I know what will be my jobs on this model tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment