Search this blog

Sunday, September 25, 2022

More cats and one step forward and two back with the Foden Haulmaster!

Firstly the WMD HQ is now slightly larger in population with the addition of these two kittens who needed a home - Mrs. Woody is as much a sucker for cats needing a good home as I am for model railway stuff!

Kittens

Marty and Monty join the other WMD cats which makes my life as Chief Litter Box Cleaner even more interesting!

Talking of interesting, once I had managed to get out to Man Cave having cleaned out the litter boxes, I carried out further work on the Foden Haulmaster kit. I was hoping to finish it ready for painting but that idea was a step too far not that you would guess from this photo which shows an almost complete model.

Knightwing Foden Haulmaster

In trying to get the cab pieces to fit together as the parts are so poorly moulded and don't fit properly I decided to use the wonders of an elastic band to pull the part stogether to where they should be. The theory is relatively simple. However in my execution I obviously over tightened the elastic band. It was like some episode of the Road Runner Cartoon where Wylie Coyote stretches an oversized Acme elastic band across the road and then ends up flattened as the band pulls the two rocks together that it is fastened to together. The four parts of the cab went flat and the swear jar ended up a bit fuller then before I started! That was the first step back. However, as with Wylie, I started over again but unlike Wylie my second attempt did work. However the fit of the panels still needs work with filler and files and the arrow on the photo below shows the area that this is needed in. The other side is the same.

Knightwing Foden Haulmaster

The other step back was with the tipper body. the sides splay out too far so that the rear tailgate did not fit properly. I could soon remedy that with a little gentle persuasion on the body sides to bend inwards. There was that snapping noise and a sudden loss of grip that indicated the persuasion had been too much and part of the side of the tipper had snapped off. I had to glue that back together and it will need further filling and sanding to make the repair invisible as the picture below shows. That swear jar did well tonight!

Knightwing Foden Haulmaster

Hopefully tomorrow will see the glue hardened and work can recommence!


No comments:

Post a Comment