Search this blog

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Surprising!

As I continue the build of the Ryefield Models Egyptian T34 122 I have been surprised - pleasantly! Having built the MiniArt and Italeri kits of T34s I am used to having to glue the various external fuel tanks together with the tank being made of two halves and two ends. Once dry the joints between the two parts of the tank have to be sanded to make them invisible - a job which I never relish and to be frank one where some problem usually manifests itself with the circular tank becoming more oval in shape as a result of the sanding! I was therefore pleasantly surprised when starting the fuel tanks on this model to find the tank just consisted of two parts.

Ryefield Models T34 122

Brilliant! However the joy was short lived when I found that the grab handles on each end of the tanks were made of my arch nemesis material - etched brass!

Ryefield Models T34 122

However, maybe because of my experience gained from the recently built MiniArt kit where etched brass parts abounded or maybe because the brass appears a little thicker and therefore stronger or indeed a combination of both, things worked out quiet well. I glued the brass to the plastic tanks with Tamiya cement which in effect softens the plastic and the brass then bonds to it. May not be the right way but it works for me!

Ryefield Models T34 122

With a few more additions to the upper hull, surprisingly, this build is still progressing well!

Ryefield Models T34 122

Not sure if anything will get done tomorrow as it is that once in a year day for me with another year added to my age. Woody is getting old in body but not in mind which is not surprising to Mrs. Woody who says I am a child at heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment