Search this blog

Monday, September 5, 2022

My arch Nemesis - Etched brass parts!

It had to come! My affection for the guys at Ryefield Models almost disappeared when I found that I needed to construct the cradles for the external fuel tanks on the rear panel of the T34/122 in etched brass! I am half way there having constructed the cradle itself and just need to mount the plastic tanks on them and then use etched straps to fasten the tanks to the cradle. I fear a contribution to the swear jar coming up but I live in hope that things will go well. My affection for the Ryefield guys was partly restored when I did the rear engine panel. There is a choice of parts for a start. If you don't want to use the etch mesh then there is a part that has it moulded as part of the panel. I did opt for the etched part to mount in the panel and after a slight bend to conform to the bend in the panel itself it just fitted. No fuss, no issues, no problems! Nice! 

I have also glued the upper hull to the lower hull as although the instructions leave this to the end of the build I could foresee potential problems. The two panels did not fit exactly without putting pressure in certain places. As you can see from the photo I have used elastic bands to pull the two parts together whilst the glue dries. Try doing that with a fully detailed upper hull and it is likely that you will be doing some repair work afterwards. I cannot see any reason not to put the two parts together at this stage but I have been caught out before!

Whilst it may not look as though much has progressed from yesterday there are a couple of hours worth of work (don't tell Mrs. Woody) since the last photo - most of it being consumed in dealing with my arch Nemesis etched brass parts! However not much of that left now - Brilliant! 

Ryefield Models T34 122


No comments:

Post a Comment