Search this blog

Sunday, September 18, 2022

Too tight!

I'm not talking about my wallet being too tight although Mrs. W probably would say it was as I claim I have forgotten the combination to open it when needing to spend money and look to her purse as an alternative! In this case of being too tight I am referring to the tracks of the T34/122 Ryefield Models tank. I have built the tracks according to the instructions. They have been painted and weathered which was finished today. I added polished metal highlights where the wheels and sprockets would come into contact with the tracks and track guides as well as on the faces of the tracks where the running on hard surfaces would keep the metal polished and free of rust.

Ryefield Models T34 122

I then attempted to mount the tracks and wheels to the tank hull. Side one was a struggle but I thought all had gone well and moved onto side two. Struggling with the last wheel the tracks came apart at the join between two of the track links. I tried gluing in situ but there was just too little give in the track to allow a bond to form abd harden before the two parts pulled apart. I dismantled that side and glued the links again but this tiem they should bond fully as there is no undue pressure on them. Going onto add some more weathering to the tank such as rust and soot I noticed that the other track had also come apart. I tool these photos before taking that track off to glue it. I suspect that I may actually have to add two more links to the track in order for it too fit. The only problem with this is that the track will probably look too slack. However I will have to wait and see what tomorrows episode of track fitting brings before deciding if I have to deal with that problem.

Ryefield Models T34 122

Ryefield Models T34 122

I must admit I do like the way this tank is turning out - I just need to solve the track issue.

Earlier in the day I spent a few more hours cleaning the greenhouse. A number of spiders are now looking for new homes and it is amazing just how many cobwebs such a small space can contain. However most of the glass has now been cleaned so I can actually look out of it without the view being blurred! I still need to sort my tools out and have a bit more of a sort out of various pots and associated things but certainly looking better!

Greenhouse


No comments:

Post a Comment