Search this blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Shunting on a Spring Bank Holiday!

I was rostered as shunter for yesterday's quarry day event at the Rocks By Rail Museum. Since I did my YouTube video on shunting (available here ) I have had some comments from people involved with shunting in some form either directly or indirectly which has been really interesting and thanks to those who have commented. The more I find out about shunting the more admiration I have for those who did it as a full time job.

A sunny start to the day always makes things look good!

Rocks by Rail Museum

Not always possible to see the face shovel from the viewing bank so this is a bit of a rare picture.

Rocks by Rail Museum

This is the busiest time shunting when we exchange two rakes of wagons between the two locos.

Rocks by Rail Museum

The sun was good but at would not be a bank holiday without some rain! My fellow shunter Dan and driver Derek and myself took shelter in the cab of the Sentinel.

Rocks by Rail Museum

With time on our hands we tested whether the wipers worked which given the rain seemed an appropriate thing to do!

Rocks by Rail Museum

And, yes they did although possibly needing new blades to avoid the smears!

Rocks by Rail Museum

For our visitors the various crane cabs provided them with shelter.


Luckily the rain was short lived and visitors were enjoying the sun...

Rocks by Rail Museum

as well as the steam hauled brake van rides which Ross, Thomas and John were also enjoying from the smiles on their faces!

Rocks by Rail Museum

After a hard day I was somewhat surprised to see this double decker parked outside the Museum.

Rocks by Rail Museum

It does say Special Rail Service on its destination blind but I and my fellow volunteers have no idea which railway!









No comments:

Post a Comment