Search this blog

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Underside detail.

Well the steel girder bridge, which is actually card and plastic sheet but as it is a model we won't worry about that, has really come along. The outside jointing strips on the plate have been added which gives some interest to what was otherwise a featureless surface.

My Last Great Project

With the top side just about finished it was time to turn attention to the underside. Firstly I needed to make some triangular strengthening fillets to secure the side plates to the underside of the bridge deck. Whilst as a model the plates had already been glued to the deck so these fillets play no role in providing strength to the model, they do replicate what happens on a real bridge - so far as I can tell!

My Last Great Project

With the fillets in place the girders were cut to size. Originally I was going to put four girders in but it looked too crowded and unrealistic so I settled on the three that are now glued in place. As I said before I am no bridge engineer so I may have created a unstable structure but I am sure the weight of my 00 gauge vehicles will not bring it crashing down!

My Last Great Project

My Last Great Project

I think I need to turn my attention to the bridge abutments next.

No comments:

Post a Comment