Search this blog

Sunday, October 29, 2023

When I'm cleaning windows!

Today , in a bid to earn some much needed bonus points from Mrs. Woody, I cleaned the windows. Nothing extraordinary in that but she is able to see what I am up to outside more easily now. However, whilst I had bucket, sponge and squeezy out I did clean my Man Cave windows forgetting that Mrs. W would be able to see even more clearly what I was doing in there! However it is done but interestingly I discovered something that I had read about but not directly experienced. Chris Leigh of Model Rail described a couple of months ago how his Bachmann Pullman 6 car train had developed cloudy windows where the sun caught them. He had the train on his layout for a number of years but had not noticed this issue until recently. I duly noted what he had written but I was not expecting issues with anything I had until, as washing one of the windows of the Man Cave, I peered through the now crystal clear glass to spy the shunting engine on my USA switching layout now with cloudy side windows! Getting the loco off the layout showed that the clouding was only affecting the side facing the window of the Man Cave and hence the sun.

Sun side and cloudy!

USA Switching Layout

Shady side and clear!

USA Switching Layout

Not a lot I can do about it apart from learn a lesson! I have however removed the loco to a shady part of the Man Cave and I am looking at other possible issues but it does appear that it needs to be direct sunlight to do the damage. Maybe I just shouldn't clean windows so that the sun can't get through but I don't think Mrs. W will accept that!

No comments:

Post a Comment